09 December 2007

Words + Rice

I saw a news bit about FreeRice on TV, but since they highlighted it as a vocabulary builder for elementary school kids, I didn't realize how much I'd dig it.

It's not just for kids.

For every word you correctly define from the multiple choice list, the site will donate 20 grains of rice through the United Nations to end world hunger. It adjusts the difficulty level of the words based on what you get right and wrong, so anyone can play. My vocabulary level hovers in the low 40s with a best of 43 thus far [UPDATE: Make that 44], and I'm having to bust out my SAT training from the recesses of my brain. There are 50 vocabulary levels in total, but apparently few people get past 48.

It's set up like The Hunger Site in that it's free for you to participate while the rice is paid for by advertisers whose names appear below the vocabulary question. Unlike The Hunger Site, the advertising on FreeRice is unobtrusive and you can play as much as you want. I've earned a donation of almost 3000 grains of rice so far today.

Pretty damn cool. And I'm picking up some new words. Even better.

(For the skeptical, you can check the program out on Snopes.)

Two years ago on TTaT: The internal war
Technorati tags: , ,

8 comments:

  1. i love free rice but i can't go on there when i have stuff to do...it's totally addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I told my Dad about it, so of course after saying how bad his vocabulary is, he rocked out a 47.

    Addictive + competitive nature = bigger time suck. I'm still only up to 46.

    Mom gave the big downplay speech too, and she knocked out 48 on her first try in 20 minutes tops. I think I'm getting hustled here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fun than the SATs, because it's not my college education at stake, just the fate of the third world! Kidding. And yet weirdly not. My low was 35, high was 45.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a terrific, and very clever way to get people involved...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl: Yes, it's lovely that you don't have to weigh the consequences of guessing a la SATs. (Assuming they still score the same way...) I was psyched to swing 47 last night. I'm learning stuff!

    Neil: Absolutely. I think it's very cool they designed it so people with basic language skills ranging to advanced can all play and get something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Freerice.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan: Keep at it. You'll start getting repeat words and they'll eventually sink in.

    I'm up to 49, so of course, my Dad just told me he hit 50. Grr. ;)

    ReplyDelete