28 January 2019

Time Warp

"I thought you might like this," Mom said as she handed me a strip of paper that felt like it'd been cut out of a magazine.

I figured it was a real estate listing for a house we'd talked about yesterday. I looked at the photo of a house at night with all its lights on for a good minute before saying, "That's our house!"

"Yes," she smiled.

In this case, by "our house" I meant a house we lived in decades ago during my formative years.

"I really like what they did with the kitchen," she said.

There were two smaller photos below the text on the right side of the strip.

"If I'd looked at those first, I wouldn't have recognized it at all. I'm not sure I even understand what they did to the kitchen because it looks like it has doors out to a porch now" (where they had been no porch before).

The front hall was not that different but the photograph was shot with a wide angle lens and from a higher vantage than I'd had when we lived there.

"I never photographed it much... which I regret," I commented. "But I wouldn't have had the same eye anyway," I consoled myself, before Mom could make some comment about not dwelling on what couldn't be changed.

I read out some of the features in the listing and laughed and marveled at the renovations and upgrades that have been made over the years.

Damn, I miss that house.


10 years ago on TTaT: The Sleeper Must Awaken

No comments:

Post a Comment