28 January 2006

The Sleeper Must Awaken

I confess my ears perked up when I saw the ads for the impending release of the extended edition of Dune on DVD. The cool one by Lynch. Yes, I concede black rubber for stillsuits in the desert don't make good sense, but they look cool.

See what they look like here.

I already have it on VHS, complete with glossary. You've got to love a film that's so involved they need to include a glossary with it. Well, maybe you don't, but I find it very amusing. And yes, when I first saw it, my brother explained a lot of the back story to me from the book.

"Fear is the mind-killer" and "without change something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens." Still true after all these years. I was so moved by the latter that I used it as the basis of my high school graduation speech.

tags: , ,

5 comments:

  1. Sting is there. Reason enough... And besides, yes, a glossary on their own is as valuable as a map included in a book (as in Lord of the Rings et al)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sting. In blue Lightspeed briefs, no less! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Dune... Arrakis... desert planet..."

    "All I see is an Atreides I want to kill!"

    The Sasquatch showed me an ad for the new DVD on the plane back from L.A. yesterday. Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm debating buying this, but I've heard so many mixed reviews. I read the novel and absolutely love it. One of the best, if not the best, scifi/fantasy novels I've ever read.

    But, because of my love of the novel, I fear watching the movie. I don't know if I want to run the risk of ruining my love of the book.

    Now bear in mind that I'm not much of a David Lynch fan, do you recommend I take the risk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merujo- now that's the stuff!

    Kevin- Hmm, hard to say. If intricate political intrigue is what you're after, you'd be better off with the scifi miniseries. I like the special fx better in Lynch's movie (and I wouldn't put it in the same category as his other movies). There are changes and omissions to the novel. Wiki has more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28film%29

    Fwiw, Frank Herbert saw both versions of Lynch's film. He liked the long version, disliked the short.

    Paul- good job! I think I've still got all the basics down at least from reading the first 3 books and watching the movies.

    ReplyDelete