07 September 2012

Life of Art SitRep #135 Beauty

During the Labor Day weekend replays, I watched some more of Inside The Glamour Studio with Sue Bryce and Hair and Makeup with Sue Bryce and Simona Janek on Creative Live.

Glamour photography is not remotely my thing, but Sue and Simona are both great and their work really moves the women who are their subjects. The discussions of beauty, confidence, and self-esteem were fascinating.

In this case, none of their subjects were models; they were all regular women. Sue shot before and after's of them all and their transformations were stunning. They all looked gorgeous.

The women talked about how great it made them feel to have beautiful hair and makeup, to see photographs that showed beauty they didn't see in themselves. A confidence boost.

The key is that the outer transformation enables people to shine out their inner beauty.

One of the women commented that she was confused by a lot of guys checking her out as she walked down the street, having forgotten she was still totally done up. Then she remembered she was "wearing a cat on her head" (hair extensions) and got a kick out of it. Or perhaps more accurately, felt validated by it.

When she talked about being looked at by strangers, it hit me: I would hate that.

I don't really want to be noticed for my looks, that's just surface and feels disingenuous. It might be fun to get made up for a day, but it's not something I have the patience to do.

Don't get me wrong: I don't always feel good about my looks (I get more breakouts now than I did as a teenager as my hair is a roll of the dice on any day), but I generally feel like I could look good, so instead of makeup I sometimes wear that attitude.

Believe it or not, I did actually accomplish other things this week.

I finished creating Clocks for my existing designs and added several more Samsung Galaxy Cases, Motorola Droid RAZR Cases, and HTC Vivid Cases.

I made a new Squidoo lens for my Rainbow Designs.

Finished my 2 week trial with a tablet and switched back to mouse. Felt a little clumsy using the mouse again at first but it hasn't taken long to readjust since it takes less dexterity to use.

Shot 46 photographs as well as a variety of less interesting things.

How was your week?


Two years ago on TTaT: The History of Japanese Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment