13 September 2010

Favorite semi blurs


On the highway last week, I spotted a semi hauling a bed of fascinating, unusual construction equipment pieces. The sun hadn't set yet, but a mountain blocked its rays making it effectively twilight.

I wanted to capture the cylinder with sparse small angled openings similar to a cheese grater, the odd jagged teeth, and the grinding spiral, but it was too dark and I was too close to freeze the elements as we drove by. Under different circumstances, the solution would be to crank up the ISO to reduce the shutter speed, open the lens iris up while being mindful of the loss of depth of field, put an empty lane in between us, and match speed with the semi during shooting.

As it was, I had one minute to capture these three shots as we passed the truck; I really like the blur that occurred. The yellow in the final photograph is the cab of the truck; the angled blacks, the foreground interior of my vehicle.


A year ago on TTaT: The Silver Moose

If you liked this post, please share it using the links below.

2 comments:

  1. That is cool! I can't decide whether my favorite is the first one or the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elizabeth! Taking shots while riding around (someone else driving, of course) has become one of my favorite entertainments.

    I'm partial to the first, but I'm biased because I'm not a fan of yellow. I do like how that one divided into sections though.

    ReplyDelete