25 April 2007

Slow Seven

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King (4/5)

My favorite book so far this year though I realize my progress has been glacial.

Part memoir, part style-guide or style-preference depending on your outlook. The first half contains vignettes from Stephen King's life that shaped him into the writer he is: I loved these. He describes how he got the idea for Carrie and what it was like to write it among others.

The latter half of On Writing describes his writing habits, grammatical preferences, and editing process. King also provides practical advice for aspiring writers regarding work environment, word count goals, and getting an agent. Lots of useful info in an entertaining volume.

One year ago at TTaT: Oh SciFi, how late you keep me up
Technorati tags: ,

1 comment: