06 April 2007

Just a couple more...

Why do they call it "Good" Friday if that's the day Jesus was crucified? Also, how did we end up with a calendar system based on his birth year? Didn't it take years for the calendar-making powers that be to recognize his significance and hence wouldn't they have had to date things retroactively? The calendar question is pretty intriguing to me, so I'll have to do some reading on that.

Ah, Wikipedia had this to say:
'Anno Domini' dating was first calculated in 525 and began to be adopted in Western Europe during the eighth century.
Interesting.

Since it's been a while, I thought I'd throw in a meme for good measure. I saw this one at Dave's and Kevin's.

You Can Dance With Me: A Meme of Musical Proportions

Of all the bands and artists in your collection, of which one do you own the most albums?
Ani DiFranco

What was the last song you listened to?
A live cut of "Four Leaf Clover" by Abra Moore

What’s in your CD player right now?
A mix of 70s disco, I think.

What are your favorite instruments?
Acoustic guitar, baby grand piano, cello, trumpet, and with the right music- violins and oboes.

Who’s your favorite local artist/band?
I don't have one at the moment.

What was the last show you attended?
LeAnn Rimes of all people. Not my usual fare, but she does have a great voice and it was something to do on the 4th.

What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to?
Hmm... so many criteria by which to judge 'great.' Michelle Shocked blew me away when I saw her years ago at a small venue.

What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert?

Ray Charles. He was THREE hours late, played for less than one and was completely off-key. Didn't help that it was also my first date leaving us with hours of silence to fill, since I don't even think there was an opening act.

What band do you love musically but hate the members of?

I don't like the guy they chose as the new lead singer of INXS, but I don't care for the band post-Michael Hutchence either...

What is the most musically involved you have ever been?
I played alto sax in the band from grade 5 through 12. This meant I was also in the marching band (Memorial day parade and a stray event or two) from 7-12 because our school was so small. In addition, I played in the stage band from 7-11.

In more recent years, I've had stretches where I've written songs for guitar. A few years back, I recorded a souped up version of one with a musician friend.

What show are you looking forward to?
None at the moment. I don't live near any large rock concert venues.

What is your favorite band shirt?
A light grey R.E.M. shirt my brother got me with an orange world on the front. On the back, there is a thin line of text that reads: Understand that change begins with the individual.

What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

Tegan and Sara. They're twins-I'd have to do a little more research if I could only pick one.

What musician would you like to be in love with you for a day?

Sting- he's still pretty hot, love his voice, and he's got that whole tantric thing going for him. ;)

What was your last musical “phase” before you wised up?
Probably wearing masses of rubber bracelets in the 80s.

Sabbath or solo Ozzy?

Neither.

Did you know that filling out this meme makes you a music geek?

Sure.

What was the greatest decade for music?
For music, probably the 20s or 30s.

What is your favorite movie soundtrack?
O Brother, Where art thou?

Who is your favorite artist who is much better live than on a recording?

Tuck & Patti. Don't get me wrong- their recordings are great- but the energy when you see them live takes their music to another level.

Do you have a hidden desire to be a popular musician?

I would settle for no less than rock star.

Have you ever used drugs to enhance the music experience?
No, well aside from whatever was being smoked in my vicinity.

What was the last song you heard that gave you a chill?
Something by Massive Attack probably, "Everywhen" or "Name Taken."

Where would you be without music?
Pylea perhaps, certainly not anywhere I'd want to be for long.

One year ago at TTaT: By-product
Technorati tags: , ,

3 comments:

  1. Me like. I'm obviously going to do this one too, as soon as it's been enough time since my last meme.. BTW, it's not Good Friday over here, but Long Friday. Which I'm sure it must have felt like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really makes one wonder (or makes me wonder at any rate) about translations of things. Someone mentioned on another post that the Greek Orthodox call it Great Friday.

    Long seems more fitting to me though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose the "good" and "great" are from the meaning behind it all - the sacrifice & resurrection, I mean. But these linguistic musings are what made me become a translator :)

    ReplyDelete