27 May 2022

Captain America

Today's sighting: Captain America. He was working for a subcontractor of the cable company and installing a new cable line for the new utility poles.

He was wearing the classic Captain America t-shirt with the shield on the front, a matte black hard hat that gave WW2 vibes, and skinny jeans.

I saw him pulling a line from the spool on the back of the truck past the driveway into the yard and then down the creek bank. From there he hurled it across to the other side. Then he walked downstream on the bank a bit and quickly hopped across the big junky rocks the construction crew left jutting out of the creek to the other side.

He was so agile. I'm only sorry I wasn't shooting video because I had no idea that was coming. Later it occurred to me that I couldn't think of a reason he couldn't have just walked across the bridge with the line, but, you know, Captain America.

A while later he was up in the bucket arm of the truck working on the line at the new pole in my yard. This time I was shooting photographs and video. I had the top half of the window down with my camera resting on it. He was maybe 50 feet away but he was clearly aware of me since we were about at eye level and he kept glancing over in my direction. I think I was making him nervous.

If I were an extrovert or maybe if I hadn't felt like I'd lose my voice, I would've yelled, "Hey, Captain America! Thank you!" I suppose I could've waved, but ultimately I didn't want to interrupt his work.

I was just waiting for this cool machine they attach to the line to spin down to the next pole. I think it wraps the cable line around the metal wire line he'd already installed. Once I had that shot, I closed the window and went back to my workout.

He and his partner, Bucky?, who mainly did work on the ground and drove the truck left around lunchtime.

I thought they'd come back after to finish switching over to the new line and removing the temp line but they didn't return. My guess is the actual cable company will come back for that part of the job. We'll see.

In any case, Thank you for your work, Captain America!


10 years ago on TTaTTemporal Transportation

No comments:

Post a Comment