06 March 2021

Light

A weighted metal cord hangs from a picture hook on my wall. Several postcards and images are attached to it via very small disc-shaped magnets that came with the cord as a stocking stuffer years ago.

This morning:

My blackout curtains were still closed but light seeped through a narrow gap at its edge illuminating part of my wall. It wasn't too bothersome because it was mostly blocked by the tall desk my grandfather built.

To the far side of the desk is where my metal cord hangs.

Every postcard or small image on it was completely outlined with light.

It was beautiful, strange, captivating.

The one larger image on the cord is a cover from an old Scientific American with a painting of a cheetah's face close-up. Instead of being surrounded by light, shadows fell across it which were moving. My curtain looked still, so I couldn't decide where the shadows were from.

I drowsily closed my eyes but kept turning back and forcing them open to see this unique light framing my postcards.

Eventually I got up and opened the curtain closest to me, perpendicular to the wall with the desk, other windows, and the metal cord. Although it's relatively North-facing, my room was infused with bright light which extinguished the cool light effect on the other wall.

Until tomorrow, maybe.


15 years ago on TTaTNew rule, please

No comments:

Post a Comment