19 November 2011

Treasures of the Pharaohs

Treasures of the Pharaohs44. Treasures of the Pharaohs by Delia Pemberton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Up until a couple years ago, we used to have a Borders Outlet store in my area. I never failed to find a book I wanted (at a very good price!) when I went there, and I have missed it since it closed. Treasures of the Pharaohs is probably the last book I bought there. It caught my interest because it has a section on Deir el-Bahri, Hatshepsut's gorgeous mortuary temple.

The photographs in the book are superb, including a wide variety of aerial shots of temples and terrain, tomb interiors, coffins, and jewelry. I've long been fascinated by ancient Egypt: I love the art, craftsmanship, hieroglyphs, columns, and structures. The history is also rather interesting, and the text in Treasures of the Pharaohs is very readable and informative. Lots of great information in the photo captions as well.

Well worth a look if only to check out the photographs.


A year ago on TTaT: Life of Art SitRep #41 iPad and iPhone cases

2 comments:

  1. I did a report on Queen Hatshepsut in fifth grade! She was a drag king before it was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you were on top of it. I didn't learn about her until I was probably in my twenties.

    But in her day it came with a lot of perks. ;)

    ReplyDelete