30 December 2009

Vestigial lists

In recent years, I've found it curious what my family won't buy me for xmas. Don't get me wrong: I'm very grateful for the loot they've given me. However, there are items no matter how many times they've appeared on my lists, what level of high priority I've given them on Amazon, or how much I've talked them up, that they just don't buy. If I were asking for pygmy goats*, ponies, or Porsches: items expensive, difficult to acquire or maintain, I'd get it, but that's not the case.

I thought I had it figured out this year, gamed the system if you will, but I was wrong.

The first time, several years back, it was just a DVD. I'd mentioned two on my list: Legally Blonde and But I'm a Cheerleader. My parents and my brother and his wife both got me copies of Legally Blonde**. (I exchanged 1 copy for the other DVD and now routinely remind them all to cross-reference their shopping lists.) That case I chalk up to familiarity: they picked the movie they'd heard of.

The Amazon catch as I think of it is that their wishlists display the date you added items. My parent's logic is that if an item's been there for years, you would have bought it yourself if you really wanted it. Which makes sense except for borderline items. You don't need them or crave them enough to buy yourself, but they'd be really cool to have. That's why I picked up a couple now out-of-print DVDs for my sister-in-law from the early days of her list this year despite having to deal with third party sellers.

To get past the Amazon catch, I added another version of DDR to my list this fall, rating both DDR games high with everything else the default medium or even low. The third party sellers were likely the deal-breaker this year, however. Shipping & handling pillage, anyone?

Or it may have been as simple as them thinking that I already have one DDR game, so why not get something new? I get that.

What really makes me laugh this year is that my Mom often comments on how particular the items on my lists are (often true), so this year I included generic requests, i.e., brands and styles weren't important, and got none of them.

Getting a list from my Mom, on the other hand, was excruciating and what was most clear about her pitifully short list was that she'd rather get something that wasn't on it. Mission accomplished.

As for DDR, I've hit the tipping point. I'm going to buy myself a new version to play before they go out of print. And in the meantime, I'll play with the rest of my cool loot.

Is there anything on your list that your family continues to bypass? Or is that just me?


*OK, technically I have but only in jest.
** Rather good commentary tracks actually.



A year ago on TTaT: And then the week seemed short

5 comments:

  1. This TOTALLY happens to me too. I think it is also with things they are unfamiliar with. I keep putting the same DVDs and books on my list, year after year, but never receive them. You know what though? I am more likely to buy something off of someone's list that I am familiar with, or like myself. My BiL wanted all of these XBox games, and we got him the Guitar Hero one, because that is one that we would actually like, rather than all of the war games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the reflection of the gift-giver in their gift choice. Makes me laugh because it reminds me of when my aunt used to send us gifts: you always knew they were from her because they exuded her taste. It was nice of her to think of us though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Amazon wish list used to double as my to-read list, so it was full of books. Now I use Goodreads, and my Amazon list is full of shoes, none of which I got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I use Goodreads, I still rely on all these scraps of paper for my to-read list. Often I end up coming across something else to read before I get to the list. Ah well. I'm a library hound, so Amazon doesn't get too book heavy.

    My bro and sis-in-law, however, read like fiends so their lists are chock-a-block full of books. Part of me feels bad for getting my SiL books most of the time, but that's what they ask for so...

    I'd be leery of buying shoes online myself, so I can see how others would be when it came to buying someone else shoes as a gift. Better luck next time? Or an excuse to treat yourself perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sort of show is it? I'm intrigued.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete