01 November 2018

Puppy Reconnaissance

The neighbors across the street got a new puppy a couple of weeks ago. I'd see it frolicking in their yard, often with the 2 young kids who live there nearby. A girl and boy, maybe 8 and 5 respectively?

One day I saw the white puppy running around with a much larger blonde dog. Mama by for a visit? I wondered at first but then decided they were just buddies because they looked too dissimilar. The large dog looked like a labrador while the puppy had kind of a smushed face and didn't seem like he'd get very big.

More recently when I saw the puppy it was on a leash with either the dad or his daughter holding it.

Yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks, it wasn't raining or cold, so I headed out for a walk.

The parents were both leaf blowing towards the back of their yard, not that far away, which was loud and annoying. It'd been going on for quite a while so I thought/hoped, surely they'd be done soon. I was wrong. sigh.

The kids were in the front yard near the curb with the puppy. The daughter held the leash.

When I got to the street, the puppy saw me and pulled forward on the leash and then stopped like he wanted to see what I was about. The kids both looked at me.

Then I did a tremendously uncharacteristic thing: I walked across the street.

As I approached, the puppy kind of sat down which made me think they'd been training him. Otherwise, I looked like a giant to the dog and he was having second thoughts.

I crouched down in front of the puppy and held out my hand. He stood up and promptly starting licking my palm.

"What's your dog's name?" I asked the girl.

"Apollo."

"That's a good name," I said and meant it.

With my free hand I patted Apollo on the head. His fur is short but pleasantly fuzzy.

I got up, crossed the street, and started my walk, my hand still wet but not overly slimed.

A good first meeting I'd say.


10 years ago on TTaT: Eye Contact (intermezzo)

No comments:

Post a Comment