09 September 2017

The Painted Queen

The Painted Queen (Amelia Peabody, #20)39. The Painted Queen by Elizabeth Peters

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is the final book in the Amelia Peabody series that Elizabeth Peters was working on when she died. Joan Hess took Peters' notes and finished it.

Having read them all, I could tell this was written by someone else but it was nice to visit with familiar characters one last time.

Chronologically the events in this book occur earlier in the series after the 11th book The Falcon at the Portal.

I confess the foreword, preface, and introduction to the book had me crying freely as they wrote about how they knew and missed Barbara Mertz (AKA Elizabeth Peters, her pen name). I miss her too.

I did not always love to read. By the time I hit middle school, I only read what I had to for classes.

One break during college I was going on a vacation with my parents and wanted something to read to pass some time. Knowing my fascination with Egyptology and fondness for mysteries, my Mom suggested Crocodile on the Sandbank, Elizabeth Peters first Amelia Peabody mystery. I loved it and soon read through the rest of the series that was available at the time and then anxiously awaited each new installment.

I don't read many mysteries now leaning more towards nonfiction and graphic novels, but I am forever grateful to Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Mertz for awakening my love of reading with her books.


10 years ago on TTaT: Three Breaks: Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment