29 September 2014

The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee

The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee63. The Mockingbird Next Door: Life with Harper Lee by Marja Mills

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Strangely enough this book came out not long after I'd been wondering about Harper Lee, if she'd written other books and if not, why not.

This book gives a look at the reclusive author and her sister and what their lives were like. Or not. Harper Lee has since disavowed collaborating in any way with this book while her sister still says they did. For what it's worth, it feels legit to me.

Either way, it's a compelling look at small town life in the South. Outings which are drives through the country through small communities like Scratch Ankle. The rhythm and pace of life with elderly friends. I appreciate their love of books and language.

It's also a look at the cost of fame. I'm not sure how I would've coped in Lee's situation, winning a Pulitzer for a first novel then made into a very successful movie. To have a singular success followed by decades of people touring your home town hoping for a glimpse or word with you? Or people asking anyone in town about you? Hmm.

Her sister, Alice, is just as fascinating, a lawyer who was still practicing in her 90s.

Quite enjoyable!

Made me miss my grandparents, Southern as it happens. Talk to the old folks in your life while you have the chance!


4 years ago on TTaT: Window portrait

No comments:

Post a Comment