09 August 2014

Twenty Years Ago

Mom was telling my Dad and I about an episode of Project Runway where the designers had to create something as though it were the fashion 20 years in the future.

She told us about some of the designs and thinking behind them and then said that the show had gotten photographs of all the designers from 20 years ago.

"Some of them were so young!" she exclaimed. "One guy was maybe 3 or 4."

"That doesn't surprise me," I said.

"Yeah, some of the designers are almost right out of school."

Then she described the photo of an older contestant, 36-40 now?, in short shorts with a big afro that made me think of the 1970s.

I caught myself though and said, "Twenty years ago is only 1994."

With disbelief my Dad said, "No, it's not."

"I bet you five dollars it is." I responded too quickly, with too much conviction, and too high a proposed bet to hope he would take it.

He thought for a moment, presumably doing the calculation in his head, and said, "Oh, I guess you're right."

I do understand the feeling though. 1994 does not seem that long ago.


A year ago on TTaT: Life of Art SitRep #183 Watches and The Slog!

No comments:

Post a Comment