14 June 2014

Foodist: Using Real Food and Real Science to Lose Weight Without Dieting

Foodist: Using Real Food and Real Science to Lose Weight Without Dieting37.Foodist: Using Real Food and Real Science to Lose Weight Without Dieting by Darya Pino Rose

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is my kind of food book. It talks about eating healthier by focusing on real instead of processed foods without focusing on diet deprivation methods. Rose uses her neuroscience background to explain why relying on willpower doesn't work for dieters.

Use your willpower to build better habits instead.

Read the footnotes: they are a mix of funny and informative.

Watch out for the end of chapter 7, "Zen and the Art of Mindful Eating" if you are not currently grossed out by certain food's textures. She relays associations people have told her about foods over the years that I didn't have that grossed me out. I will try to scrub those from my consciousness. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the book and it's approach to building a better "healthstyle."

Have I gone all in? No, not yet, but I'm getting more mindful of my eating, focusing on "bright spots" where I'm already doing things right which I can do better, recognizing patterns in my eating.

My favorite thing about the book is the core principle that life should be awesome. Sometimes cake or dessert or a fantastic rich meal is worth eating. It's a matter of figuring out which indulgences are worth it to you and recognizing the hidden indulgences of foods pumped full of sugar and salt that are so prevalent in the US.


A year ago on TTaT: Life of Art SitRep #175 Windless seas

No comments:

Post a Comment