10 November 2011

I've been meaning to thank you...

To all the people who have raved about David Sedaris's books and performances/readings on their blogs over the years, thank you. I believe this group includes Cheryl, Sizzle, Dave2, and Kapgar, but I don't have the time to search your blogs to be sure. My apologies if I've missed anyone whose David Sedaris post I also read sometime in the last 6.5 years.

I confess I dismissed him at first, thinking of him as someone everyone liked. But the more I got to know you all through your blogs, the more I trusted your judgment and realized you weren't like everyone else (which is why I liked you in the first place).

That lead to me seeing a local performance of The Santaland Diaries last December. This year, the man himself was giving a reading, and I felt the tug to go even though I still haven't gotten around to reading any of his books. (I am convinced that I will now, however.)

His performance was very funny, a bit unsettling if you really took in what he was saying, and on occasion shocking. All in all, a great night made even better because the venue was spectacular.

The original theater and the renovations they pulled off to restore it are amazing. Seriously, I thought to myself, If Dave2 ever travels this way and I need to show him around or tell him what he should see, this theater is a must! So ornate. Seats around 850, so there's really no bad seat in the house. I would avoid the vertigo-inducing 2nd balcony though.

I can't think of a more gorgeous theater I've been to, and I've seen quite a few shows including a bunch on Broadway.

In any case, if David Sedaris comes back, I would see him again. And I would buy a book before the show to have him sign it because the line after was insane.

Thanks again, bloggers, for sharing your Sedaris love!

Also, I'm considering getting my Dad one of his books for xmas since he laughed so hard at the show. Any particular one you'd recommend? All, of course, assuming he hasn't already read them by then. Your suggestions are appreciated!


A year ago on TTaT: 50 Photographers You Should Know

5 comments:

  1. So glad you saw him & loved him! He's hilarious and poignant. I want to put him in my pocket and have him comment on our surroundings all day. :-)

    Naked was the first book of his I read. It remains a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan. Jealous beyond belief that you got to hear a live reading! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try again...

    Glad you enjoyed. Hope he comes back here again soon. And while I agree with Sizzle that Naked is great, I gotta go with Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Note to self: call people out on twitter to get comments. ;) You guys were fast!

    Thank you for the suggestions, Sizzle & Kevin. I'll check 'em out, probably literally.

    Dave2: Well, I'm often jealous of all your travels, so I think you're still coming out ahead. Not that I'm keeping score or anything. ;) I highly recommend seeing him live if you get the chance. I hope this cool theater lures more cool folks to my out of the way area.

    ReplyDelete