01 March 2008

Neuroplasticity

As is often the case when my head's screwed up from a weather change, I felt nauseated after breakfast, so I sat down and entered something of a "don't hurl" meditation. After a few minutes when the nausea no longer felt imminent, I clicked on the tv. Starting with channel two, I surfed up until I hit twelve, a PBS station.

It was towards the end of the show, but The Brain Fitness Program had me hooked.

Basically the idea of neuroplasticity is that the brain can retain high functionality no matter your age as long as you continue to learn new skills. If your mind has been slipping due to disuse or subject to injury, you can improve it and doing so will improve your outlook.

Fascinating show. It's coming on again later, so I'm taping it. Considering my grandmother's late years, retention of cognition is something my dad and I are both interested in.

To see if The Brain Fitness Program is airing on your local PBS station, visit PBS and type in your zipcode to get your affiliate's schedule.

A year ago on TTaT: Tre, Film is better..., One of those days

No comments:

Post a Comment